31665Re: [John Muir Trail] Jetboil cooking ideas

  • brucelem12
    Jun 16, 2013
      Mozzarella balls sealed in original vacuum wrap for month + in resupply, then opened/eaten over as many as 6 days on a hot hike tastes/works well for me. Might be my palette is just so unsophisticated I don't even recognize cheese gone bad, :) ..but I've never noticed any mold or bad taste. Makes up a fairly significant portion of my diet...great w/ many things. No particular care taken in slicing off chunks per meal, (often just bite directly off it actually) :) ...just reseal in ziplock.
      Bruce

      > I'm thinking that hard cheese (probably parmesan) may be a luxury for the first segment of the JMT but I'm not sure that the cheese would survive in a resupply shipment. I may try an experiment with keeping hard cheese unrefrigerated for a longer period of time to see what happens. I assume that keeping the block of cheese intact and then somehow grating it on the trail would increase longevity by reducing the amount of cheese exposed to air. Trader Joes seems to have a good selection of hard cheese.

    • Show all 22 messages in this topic