31656Re: Jetboil cooking ideas

  • dh5169
    Jun 16, 2013
      John,
      The presumption is that you are starting with a well-aged cheese. I would look for a minimum of 1 year of aging. Go to a good cheese shop and they should be able to put you on the right track. Besides the parm, I like an aged manchego, pecorino, piave, or goat gouda. Someone earlier mentioned cheese paper and I support that recommendation. You can also get cheese bags(same as paper but easier to deal with). You want the cheese to breath and not end up tasting like plastic wrap. Place inside a ziploc or a hard plastic container. The cheese paper let's the cheese breath while the outer layer keeps it from drying out. If you want to get serious about it, you could buy some cheese wax and coat it, but I think that's overkill. I shipped a 2-year old parm in a resupply from the east coast to MTR and then, because we never got there, had it shipped back. Was still in perfectly good shape.
      Doug

      > On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 9:28 AM, dh5169 <dh5169@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > > ... As a former cheesemonger, I can assure you that a well aged, good
      > > quality parmesan ... *will keep for months, especially if well wrapped.
      > > *
      > >
      > > Doug
      >
      > I'd love your advice on how best to wrap for shipping to a place like MTR.
      >
      > John L

    • Show all 22 messages in this topic