3164Re: FW: mileage

  • zmortalcityz
    Dec 8, 2008
      Maps. Get the Harrison JMT map set and you will be all set. Mileage
      is marked very conveniently between trail junctions. Could be
      anywhere from 0.3 miles to 10 miles between junctions. Keep track of
      your pace on different terrains and time since the last junction and
      you should know exactly where you are. Landmarks and a compass help,
      but to be honest I might have used the compass only once or twice, I
      don't really remember. Landmarks were always sufficient for me, even
      when off trail.

      There are other map sets... I also brought a much more detailed
      National Geographic set that had some extra info on interesting stops
      along the trail but wasn't really useful as far as navigating the
      trail. Harder to read and didn't have nice mileage shown between
      junctions.

      I've never had the desire to use GPS on the trail, but i'm kind of
      like that everywhere. JMT is EXTREMELY well marked. The only
      confusing bit I can remember was right by the Muir Trail Ranch. Plus,
      with a trail like that its not practical to leave it on all day, so it
      takes a few minutes to get an accurate fix after powering up - my
      experience anyways. I don't really like sitting around on the side of
      the trail fidgeting with it till its hot. If you are planning
      extensive off-trail travel and have difficulty reading a
      map/compass/landmarks then bring a GPS (and get familiar with it and
      the maps). Pedometers are worthless for this sort of thing IMHO so
      leave it at home. Watch is sometimes nice. I've got a solar charger
      with a USB cable to charge up my Magellan Crossover - its made by
      Solio but there are some inexpensive ones as well if you go that route.

      I'm not really sure how elevation helps, but there are 10,000ft signs.
      Are you bringing an altimeter? (you probably won't use it) Just
      look for where the 10,000 ft contour intersects with the trail.

      So basically, just get the Harrison maps.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Karagosian"