31535Re: VERMILION VALLEY RESORT PROBLEMS

  • Robert
    Jun 14, 2013
      I've been holding back a little to comment on this one because I fall somewhere between the reviewers harsh viewpoint and the rosier positive reviews. I too have been to VVR with the old owners and the new, and the best way for me to describe it is: it used to be a rustic place to visit with nice people to visit with and good food. Now it is a rustic, dirty place to visit with a couple of people working there that really don't care for the hiker-types, but the food is still alright. I have never used their re-supply service, so I can't comment on that aspect, but it is no longer worth it to me to go out of my way to go there, from my prospective. They do fill a niche for hikers, and I suppose if one has never been there before it may be worth a visit and enjoy a beer or two, but the cleanliness of everything from the kitchen to the showers has degraded in the last 5-6 years.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "ptoddf" <ptoddf@...> wrote:

      > I was going to resupply at VVR next month, but negative reports reached my ears. Then my search for "VVR Reviews" found this scathing (and current) report. Read the whole thing, including VVR's rebuttal here:
      >
      > http://tahoetowhitney.org/content/vermilion-valley-resort-backpacker-resupply
      >
      > With response:
      >
      > http://tahoetowhitney.org/content/vermilion-valley-resort-papers
      >

      > If one quarter of this is true, I can't trust them for resupply -- which would ruin my whole summer.
      >
      > I have my Muir Trail Ranch labels ready to print from their site. A quick stop and a hop into their hot spring and I'll be hiking again.
      >
      > Don't need to spend a whole day and night at VVR, then wait for their late morning ferry boat. MTR is more central anyway.

    • Show all 28 messages in this topic