31478Re: Charging camera batteries at Resupply points?

  • bodnar1234
    Jun 13, 2013
      In 2012 I was able to recharge (110V) at Tuolumne Meadows, Reds Meadow Restaurant (recharged while eating), and Vermillion Valley Resort (VVR). VVR is the only place with a dedicated charging station. The other locations required asking the establishment.

      I would never leave a phone unattended. If someone stole my battery pack it wouldn't be a big deal but an iPhone would have impacted my hike.

      I used a 7000mA external battery pack and never ran out of power. My wife had a 5000mA and that was good enough. We never ran out of power on our entire PCT hike.

      Paul (Tangent)

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "john_friend" <yahoo@...> wrote:

      > I'm trying to figure out how to handle camera batteries on the JMT this summer (southbound, starting 7/13). We have planned resupply at Tuolumne, Red's Meadow and Muir Trail Ranch and are planning for a 20 day trip.
      >
      > Does anyone know if a hiker can charge things at Tuolumne Meadows or Red's Meadow?
      >
      > I have a 2.5oz charger for the camera battery that will run off either 12V or 110V.
      >
      > I know I could get a solar charger and use the 12V charging input from that, but I am trying to see what options might save the extra weight of carrying the solar charger and the daily hassle of trying to get things charged. There also seems to be a bit of uncertainty about how well a solar charger works while you're hiking all the time, especially going into and out of the sun, at less than ideal angles, etc...
      >
      > Another option is to just buy enough batteries and stock up each resupply box with the appropriate number of charged batteries. To avoid throwing away or carrying the used ones, I'd try to send them home at each resupply (I guess). I will end up owning a lot more of this particular camera's battery (Fuji X-E1 camera, NP-W126 battery) than I will ever need if I go this route. This is probably the logistically simplest method, but costs the most and has the slight risk that I miscalculate battery life or get one bad battery and don't have use of the camera for part of the trip.
      >
      > Then, my last option is to just carry two batteries for the whole trip (plus one more in the MTR resupply) and charge the two at each resupply point. MTR says in their resupply info that you can charge there (if you're willing to wait there that long which could be quite a few hours). Does anyone know about the ability to charge at Tuolumne Meadows (backpacker's campground) or Red's Meadow?
      >
      > How have others solved this issue? What would someone who's done this before recommend?

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic