31466Re: Charging camera batteries at Resupply points? - & communications devices...?

  • Christina
    Jun 13, 2013
      Hey John -

      I'm struggling with this question too. I'm getting my family of four geared up for an August hike of 21-26 days (not sure exactly as the kids are less predictable). So I have FOUR cameras to power (yes four - everyone wants their own toy - and I'm the worst, so I can't complain!).

      I take 60-300 pics a day, averaging 150 and I'm getting Wasabi batteries for my camera (lasting 1.4x the OEM batteries) - but even with the extra charge, I'm looking at 6-9 batteries for the trip - just for me. I'm guessing my husband will need 6 batteries and the kids will each need 6 unless I get them a camera that recharges via USB. (Which all makes me dread how much file organizing and post processing work I face when we return!)

      Regarding communications, we've never traveled with gps, plb, or sat phone. We've done up to 12 days with the kids without even considering it. But on this trip, for some reason, I'm wondering if I should have something. My biggest fear is that the electronics stop working and folks at home freak out, causing unnecessary risk to SAR personnel. I'm researching the BriarTek CerberLink hooked to an iPod:

      So I'm working the numbers trying to figure out if it makes more sense to buy a ton of batteries (at about $14 a pop) or get a solar charger that will also charge the CerberLink and iPod. The big question is will a solar charger even hook to my battery chargers. You mention a 12V charging input - pls post a link b/c I haven't come across this.

      And then there is my wilderness ethic that just writhes in discomfort at the thought of all these electronics in the backcountry. The mountains have always been a great escape for me from all that.

      Sigh. So the solar chargers I'm researching are the Bushnell Mini Solar Roll (3.1 oz) and the PowerMonkey Explorer (5.6 oz).

      Any and all comments and advice welcome,
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic