31150Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Cozy for JetBoil PCS

    Jun 3, 2013
    1.6 oz for the Antigravitygear pot cozy.  Absolutely worth the weight in fuel savings.  You just pour boiling water into the plastic bag (rated to hold boiling water) and which has your dinner, seal it, store in the cozy 10 minutes, then eat.

    I spent 2 years researching the best plastic bags for the JMT and I've attached the specs and costs and how to order them in this email.  If anyone in the group wants to sell these bags, I encourage you to do so.

    On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 11:02 PM, John Ladd <johnladd@...> wrote:

    A member asked the weight of this cozy

    4.5 ounces on a not-particularly-accurate scale. Probably plus or minus 1 ounce

    I think it is way worth the weight. There are lighter cozys out there, or you can make your own, but this one fits the JetBoil like a glove well and is really, really easy to use - -at least with the original JetBoil PCS (and presumably the newer Flash and the Sol)

    On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 10:20 AM, John Ladd <johnladd@...> wrote:
    I've found that a cozy really expands my cooking options with the JetBoil
     (I have the PCS, the original version of the one-person JetBoil now replaced with the similar Flash and the Sol models)

    A cozy allows me to efficiently cook things like regular pasta, rather than just angel hair, SteelCut Irish Oatmeal rather than instant, tortellini, etc. With a cozy I don't have to try to maintain the JetBoil at a simmer and I don't have to use a lot of fuel for foods that say that they require 10 minutes of more of simmering. (Sometimes repeat simmer-and-steeps are required esp. at altitude where simmering water is not as hot as at sea level)

    The cozy that I
    found at REI
    (a one liter Outdoor Products insulated bottle holder)
    the PCS
    . But it
    is no longer carried by REI
    . It
    has become very hard to find

    ut I just stumbled across it again

    It is now offered here

    The PCS pot size is
    4.1” x 7.1” (104 mm x 180 mm)

    The JetBoil Flash uses the same size pot, so it should work for that as well

    It should also fit the Sol
    and the Titanium Sol
    4.1” x 6.5”.

    Dimensions of the holder 4.25 in outer Diameter by 9 inch high. I don't know the weight but pretty light and if it allows you to use a 110 gram net weight isobutane canister rather than the 220 gram size it is way worth the weight. I get 24 cooked meals out of the 110's in part due to the cozy.

    Looks like this. Insulated with urethane foam and a reflective inner liner.

    Inline image 1

    Link to photo if you can't see it

    One of my favorite weird little things.

    San Francisco, CA  94114-3707