31028Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Guthook Guide: JMT smartphone app ready

    May 31 8:06 PM
      Thanks!

      Include Taboose Pass bailout, Piute Pass bailout to North Lake TH, Muir Trail Ranch to Florence Lake bailout trails if you can.  All three of them have been used in our groups.

      It would be nice to have the following trails understood to see how they would work for bailout options:

      Sawmill Pass Trail  (page 34 of Erik the Black's JMT Atlas)

      Shepherd Pass Trail  (page 40 of Erik the Black's JMT Atlas)

      Upper Bear Creek East Trail (page 20 of Erik the Black's JMT Atlas)

      Red Cones / Upper Crater Meadow to Horseshoe Lake Trailhead (page 13 of Erik the Black's JMT Atlas) -- this as much for alternative TH entrance permit way to get onto the JMT, it's only about 3 or 4 miles south of Red's Meadows Store (the map seems like this TH connects to the JMT at 3 points, one being an un-named junction just north of Red Cones).

      Thousand Island Lake Junction to Agnes Meadow TH via either the PCT River Route or PCT High Route (I used the High Route of the PCT one year--we re-entered the JMT after a night's rest and cleanup at a motel in Mammoth Lakes).  -- see http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5337626.pdf

      _

      On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 10:29 PM, bodnar1234 <paulbodnar@...> wrote:

      The Android JMT app will be updated in the next day or so to include more detailed topo maps covering Bishop Pass, Kearsarge Pass and Cottonwood Pass (Horseshoe Meadows trailhead). If you can think of another area that would be useful let me know.

      If you have already downloaded the Guthook JMT app you will be able to update to the newer topo maps for free when the new maps are launched.

      Just remember to check for updates before your hike.

      Paul (Tangent)

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "bodnar1234" <paulbodnar@...> wrote:

      > Roleigh, This is a great point. We have the junctions to bail-out trails marked, and the offline topo maps should have them indicated (just to be clear, we do not have GPS side tracks to anything other than to VVR or Muir Trail Ranch, but the topo maps show a lot of side trails). We're double checking everything right now and will update the maps if we're missing anything.
      >
      > In the meantime if this group would like to specify a list of bail-out trails we can make sure we cover them all.
      >
      > Paul (Tangent)
      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I am curious and I bet many others, how many of the side trails do you show
      > > going all the way to the TH to those side trails?
      > >
      > > The Tom Harrison JMT Map set doesn't show all the bailout trails all the
      > > way to their Trailheads. It would be neat if yours surpassed that.
      > >
      > > The bailout trails are named in our cell service database which we
      > > encourage all JMT hikers who have cell service to update after they've done
      > > their hike.

      > > Visit my Google Profile (lots of very interesting research
      > > links)<https://plus.google.com/104440166440169700478/about>
      > > _
      > >

      > > On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 2:50 PM, bodnar1234 <paulbodnar@> wrote:
      > >
      > > > **
      > > >

      > > > I just wanted to let members know we have launched the "Guthook's Guide:
      > > > JMT" app for the Android phone. The iPhone version will be out within a
      > > > week. This app is identical in format to the popular Guthook's Guides to
      > > > the PCT.
      > > >
      > > > The data (trail track, waypoints, etc.) was collected in 2012. The app
      > > > provides GPS functionality (a dot shows you where you are even if you don't
      > > > have phone service), off-line topo maps of the entire trail, and 550+
      > > > waypoints along and near the trail.
      > > >
      > > > Waypoints include 300+ water sources (plus a description of the water
      > > > source's reliability and the distance to the next reliable water source),
      > > > tenting sites, important descriptions of landmarks, trail junctions, and
      > > > stream crossings -- all with photos. All the data (maps, photos, etc.) can
      > > > be stored to your phone prior to hiking so there is no need to have wifi or
      > > > cell service to operate while on the trail.
      > > >
      > > > The app also includes the entire Mt. Whitney Trail (down to Whitney
      > > > Portal) and side trails to VVR and Muir Trail Ranch.
      > > >
      > > > For a FREE demo of a similar app you can download the Guthook's Guide PCT
      > > > Demo at;
      > > >

      > > > https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.highsierraattitude.pctsocalfree
      > > >
      > > > Check out the JMT app at:
      > > >

      > > > https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.highsierraattitude.jmtguide
      > > >
      > > > It's on sale for $4.99 for a limited time (same for iPhone when it comes
      > > > out within a week).
      > > >
      > > > We hope you like it! Please let us know if you have any suggestions!
      > > >
      > > > Paul "Tangent" and Alice "Holstein" (for Android)
      > > > &
> [...]

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic