30997Re: [John Muir Trail] Guthook Guide: JMT smartphone app ready

    May 31, 2013
      I am curious and I bet many others, how many of the side trails do you show going all the way to the TH to those side trails?

      The Tom Harrison JMT Map set doesn't show all the bailout trails all the way to their Trailheads.  It would be neat if yours surpassed that.

      The bailout trails are named in our cell service database which we encourage all JMT hikers who have cell service to update after they've done their hike.

      _

      On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 2:50 PM, bodnar1234 <paulbodnar@...> wrote:

      I just wanted to let members know we have launched the "Guthook's Guide: JMT" app for the Android phone. The iPhone version will be out within a week. This app is identical in format to the popular Guthook's Guides to the PCT.

      The data (trail track, waypoints, etc.) was collected in 2012. The app provides GPS functionality (a dot shows you where you are even if you don't have phone service), off-line topo maps of the entire trail, and 550+ waypoints along and near the trail.

      Waypoints include 300+ water sources (plus a description of the water source's reliability and the distance to the next reliable water source), tenting sites, important descriptions of landmarks, trail junctions, and stream crossings -- all with photos. All the data (maps, photos, etc.) can be stored to your phone prior to hiking so there is no need to have wifi or cell service to operate while on the trail.

      The app also includes the entire Mt. Whitney Trail (down to Whitney Portal) and side trails to VVR and Muir Trail Ranch.

      For a FREE demo of a similar app you can download the Guthook's Guide PCT Demo at;

      https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.highsierraattitude.pctsocalfree

      Check out the JMT app at:

      https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.highsierraattitude.jmtguide

      It's on sale for $4.99 for a limited time (same for iPhone when it comes out within a week).

      We hope you like it! Please let us know if you have any suggestions!

      Paul "Tangent" and Alice "Holstein" (for Android)
      &
      Ryan "Guthook" (for iPhone)

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic