30853Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Supplements

  • Deborah Rhoton
    May 27 2:24 PM
      Darryl,

      Nice to meet you! I too have Psoriatic Arthritis.  I have been on Enbrel a number of years myself and faced the same concerns on my hike last year. I had a dose on the day I left and a dose the day I got back. I did not worry about missing doses while on the trail but medicated with Arthritis strength Tylenol as needed. You may be able to get a prescription strength anti-inflammatory from your rheumatologist such as Diclofinac or Feldene if you think you may need something stronger. These medications however don't work as quickly as the Tylenol, in my opinion.  I did not seem to have any issues arise from arthritic pain in my joints. Just the usual OMG I just hiked 12 mi and over a 12,000 ft pass kind of pain. :-) I would be a little concerned with taking prednisone as it can weaken your immune system as well. I prefer to have as strong an immune system as possible while out in the back country. I should say however, I am not a rheumatologist but I am a Registered Nurse. With that...always consult with your physician first.
      Best wishes for a happy and pain free hike!

      Deb

      Sent from my iPad

      On May 26, 2013, at 11:03 PM, "Darryl" <dabrahms@...> wrote:

      I have psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis and have been giving myself weekly Enbrel shots for several years. As I won't have access to refrigeration on the trail, I will stop taking Enbrel during this period. I discussed this with my Rheumatologist and Dermatologist. The rheumatologist prescribed Prednisone in case I start to ache. I was going to try a dry run of Enbrel now to see whether there would be any effects of going off it, but my dermatologist said that it stays in my system for several weeks, so I should continue using it until I go on the JMT in mid-August.
      I am cautious about taking Advil frequently because after doing a half marathon a couple of years ago, I had blood in my stool from over-use. My go-to painkiller is Tylenol because it is not as harsh on my system.

      Darryl

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Darryl" <dabrahms@...> wrote:

      > Ravi mentioned in an earlier post that he takes Glucosamine. I took them for about six months but then stopped because I didn't know whether they were making a difference. I now take Tumeric concentrate (Curcumin 95) and it initially seemed to help, but now I'm not so sure if it still makes a difference. I also take Costco's Kirkland multi-vitamin pack, fish oil and vitamin D, every day, and I intend to keep doing so on the trail. I'm interested to know what your opinion and experience is with supplements. Thanks.
      > Darryl

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic