30730Re: Last minute plan for JMT 5-28 to 6-5

  • josh9561
    May 23 5:35 PM
      Thanks to everybody that replied and all the individual emails I got from members. Awesome group of people. Final hike is from sunrise lakes to reds meadows the 29th to the 4th of June.. From what I gathered from inyo, Yosemite, and mammoth lakes resources I should expect 7" soft pack snow on hard pack base beginning half way up switchbacks from tenaya lake to sunrise around 9k and persisting until descent into tuolumne and recurring half way up Donahue and persisting thru to 1000 lakes. 7" solid ice on many of the lakes according to mammoth resources. Garnet and below thawed. Stream crossing at tenaya lakes are flood conditions and minimum 3ft slow water. These sound like badass conditions. Not exactly the cover of backpacker like my dumbass originally hoped but whatever. Just FYI for anyone planning on going out soon. Lemme know if anyone has drier alternates or eyes on accounts that differ?

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "josh9561" <joshuarickards@...> wrote:

      > Hi everybody. Well organized and informative site. I just changed jobs and have a sudden 2 wk window to go play. I chose the John Muir trail for various reasons and I've already bought plane tickets so please don't tell me it will suck this time of year because its too late now! I've never been out west so I have no idea if my skill sets are good enough, my plan is manageable, or if my route is worthwhile so I included my experience briefly below. I've crammed a fair amount of research but there are a few variables I'm not sure of. Roleigh Martin very nicely emailed his number which I couldn't call yesterday so he got a version of this in email. Thanks roleigh and I plan to call just don't want to early on a Sunday so I am also posting here.
      >
      > Im from the northeast. Ive Done the Pemi loop in the whites, Grafton loop In the mahoosic range solo, Whitney loop in Catskills, Harriman park in ny, delaware water gap, etc basically many 3-4 night 20 to 40 mile trips with elevation gains around 15 to 20k cumulative on some of them. Half of them solo. I have a 0deg bag montbell, Hennessy hammock, big Agnes ultralight two man tent, jet boil (sucks in cold and elevation), ketadyn filter, nice osprey bag, neo air mattress, and all the extras and mtn house food. Oh and a SPOT. I Pack out at about 40 lbs. I'm a big dude 6'1" 270 I average 8 to 12 miles in the steepest of the whites per day up to 14 on easy terrain. I pack between 40 and 50 lbs and ultralight be damned. I'm 34 going on 16. I'm a physician assistant and I can repair myself in the field pretty well.
      >
      > So far I've read pretty much everything on this site ish. I have the essential John Muir guide and have read my planned section.
      >
      > This trip is solo. I'm so far flying into Reno the 28th and out the 5th. I have a permit for touloumne taking out at red meadows following the jmt. I think I will maybe rent a car in reno, park at toloumne and hike south, hopefully past red meadows, then take out wherever I am on final day. I would like to find two or three possible take out points, find a shuttle service that can pick me up at whichever i choose to take out at and contact them (somehow) when I do take out or along the way when it looks like I know where I will end up. I want flexibility so if I crapout I have options. More expensive but with little time it seems like the most flexible, containable approach. Any suggestions welcome for logistics.
      >
      > What I haven't figured out yet:
      >
      > 1. Temps so far as I can tell hi 20s night high 60s day at the worst. I'm layered for that. Do u think it will be better or worse? I plan to have polypropylene base and a bear top with a bombproof north face shell. Probably hat and gloves for unpredictable extremes.. Overkill? I know the weather can snap quickly.

> [...]
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic