      Chucking those boots!

      Steve Y
      Geneva IL

      On May 22, 2013, at 11:57 PM, Don Amundson <amrowinc@...> wrote:

      Some have said Cheryl Strayed's book Wild is somewhat responsible for the increased numbers.  I think the prospect of a low snow year may be another.  I agree with Snap about the dropout rate being higher than 50%.  I just did the first 77 miles of the PCT before the "herd" left after the kickoff. One guy I met decided to stay at Morena Lake, mile 20, until the kickoff to recover from blisters. The two guys I was hiking with dropped out on the second day. There were some others who were going into Julian (a hitch hike from mile 77)  for "body repairs."  At the mile 68 water tank I saw a few gruesome looking feet being attended too. I gave my knee brace I carry "just in case" to a young guy who developed knee pains.  His girlfriend was complaining of leg pains.  I had the feeling in the short time I was on the trail that at least 75% of those I encountered would be dropping out.
      I don't know how you could possibly keep track of the numbers due to the myriad of variables. Some are picking up where they dropped out in previous years.  Some are section hiking.  I know too that some people get a PCT permit just to hike the JMT and/or other areas with no intention of doing a thru hike or even 500 continuous miles on the PCT.  There are a relative few that complete the trail as a thru hike and I have to applaud them.  A 2660 mile walk is a quite an undertaking.

      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      From: nccctsd@...
      Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 20:01:33 -0700
      Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Number of JMT permits this year?

      The PCTA issues Long Distance Hiking permits for trips of 500 miles or more. There is no specific thruhiker permit.
      Does the 1300 number include all permits or only those planning on going the entire distance? If the former then many of those may not include the JMT.
      I suspect the dropout rate is higher than 50% but more people may make is through the JMT this year because the snow and stream crossing problems will be reduced.

      Snap

      From: John <johndittli@...>

      Wow! I just read that 1300 thru hike permits were issued for the PCT this year (up from 800 last year). With an annual 50% dropout rate, that means 650 JMT hikers before any JMT specific permits are even rendered!

    • Show all 18 messages in this topic