30702Re: Number of JMT permits this year?

  • judithsmcguire
    May 23, 2013
      We can thank Cheryl Strayed's Wild for the big uptick. The AT attrition rate is 75% (much bigger the year after A Walk in the Woods was published. I'd expect this would play out on the PCT as well.

      Judo

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Frank Dumville <nccctsd@...> wrote:

      > The PCTA issues Long Distance Hiking permits for trips of 500 miles or more. There is no specific thruhiker permit.
      > Does the 1300 number include all permits or only those planning on going the entire distance? If the former then many of those may not include the JMT.
      > I suspect the dropout rate is higher than 50% but more people may make is through the JMT this year because the snow and stream crossing problems will be reduced.
      >
      > Snap

      > From: John <johndittli@...>
      >  Wow! I just read that 1300 thru hike permits were issued for the PCT this year (up from 800 last year). With an annual 50% dropout rate, that means 650 JMT hikers before any JMT specific permits are even rendered!

    • Show all 18 messages in this topic