30683Re: [John Muir Trail] Lose the pole straps [Was "Clouds Rest junction"]

    May 22, 2013
      I tend to remove the straps only when I am moving fast downhill in an area with rocks that are likely to catch a tip in a crevice or gap between rocks. The rest of the time I find they help a lot with flicking the poles forward with minimal effort  (as opposed to a tight grip on the poles). The mix of risks and benefits  varies with terrain - usually I think the risks are smaller than the benefits.

      On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 6:09 PM, sanfran_rwood <MrRedwood@...> wrote:

      > John, a lot of the tarp tents use the tip of the pole to
      > hold up the tent so the grip is on the ground. This is
      > more the norm than the exception.

      And the Tarptent Rainbow has the poles lying on the ground, making the short sides of the rectangle rigid.

      But there's an easy solution to keeping varmints from nibbling on pole straps: lose the straps.

      Seriously â€" it took a fall with a nasty bruise for me to realize that strapping a meter-long stick to one's wrist can sometimes be quite insane. I planted a pole and then stepped on a loose rock and stumbled, but the instinct to catch myself was prevented from having that darn pole. Fell across the pole (bending it) and got a huge bruise across one thigh.

      Luckily I was in a meadow that just happened to have a lot of smooth river rocks. The next time I was walking along a ridgeline with sharp boulders all around me I realized that same accident could easily be much nastier, so I started taking the straps off.

      Eventually I realized the only time the straps were really handy was when climbing, but my grip is strong enough that I didn't ever really need them. So I took them off and DIY'd one into a camera monopole with a plastic bolt and a lot of hot glue.

      Seriously: lose the pole strap.
      --
      Richard

    • Show all 37 messages in this topic