30528Re: Last minute plan for JMT 5-28 to 6-5

  • gracec816
    May 19, 2013
      I'll take a stab at a few of your questions.

      Regarding getting yourself from Reno to Yosemite / public transit in general, I think that you're correct that renting a car would be your best bet. There's probably year-round public transit from Reno to Mammoth (not personal knowledge...just a guess), but the Mammoth to Yosemite leg is going to be problematic (read: nonexistent) before June 1. Here's another possibility if you want to try for public transit -- look into whether there's a way to get from Reno to Yosemite Valley on public transit. That would likely already be running, and although your permit is for Touloumne Meadows, you could probably get a new, walk in permit leaving from Yosemite Valley without too much trouble this early in the year.

      Regarding points where you could get off the trail after Red's Meadow, it can be done, but transportation back to your car becomes significantly more complicated and the hike out from the JMT to the trailhead becomes significantly longer. If you do get to Red's Meadow and find yourself with one or two days to kill, I would recommend exploring some of the trails west of the JMT around the Minarets. You could even use Red's Meadow as your base camp; there are endless day hikes out of the Red's Meadow / Mammoth area.

      Hope you have a blast!

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "josh9561" <joshuarickards@...> wrote:

      > Hi everybody. Well organized and informative site. I just changed jobs and have a sudden 2 wk window to go play. I chose the John Muir trail for various reasons and I've already bought plane tickets so please don't tell me it will suck this time of year because its too late now! I've never been out west so I have no idea if my skill sets are good enough, my plan is manageable, or if my route is worthwhile so I included my experience briefly below. I've crammed a fair amount of research but there are a few variables I'm not sure of. Roleigh Martin very nicely emailed his number which I couldn't call yesterday so he got a version of this in email. Thanks roleigh and I plan to call just don't want to early on a Sunday so I am also posting here.
      >
      > Im from the northeast. Ive Done the Pemi loop in the whites, Grafton loop In the mahoosic range solo, Whitney loop in Catskills, Harriman park in ny, delaware water gap, etc basically many 3-4 night 20 to 40 mile trips with elevation gains around 15 to 20k cumulative on some of them. Half of them solo. I have a 0deg bag montbell, Hennessy hammock, big Agnes ultralight two man tent, jet boil (sucks in cold and elevation), ketadyn filter, nice osprey bag, neo air mattress, and all the extras and mtn house food. Oh and a SPOT. I Pack out at about 40 lbs. I'm a big dude 6'1" 270 I average 8 to 12 miles in the steepest of the whites per day up to 14 on easy terrain. I pack between 40 and 50 lbs and ultralight be damned. I'm 34 going on 16. I'm a physician assistant and I can repair myself in the field pretty well.
      >
      > So far I've read pretty much everything on this site ish. I have the essential John Muir guide and have read my planned section.
      >
      > This trip is solo. I'm so far flying into Reno the 28th and out the 5th. I have a permit for touloumne taking out at red meadows following the jmt. I think I will maybe rent a car in reno, park at toloumne and hike south, hopefully past red meadows, then take out wherever I am on final day. I would like to find two or three possible take out points, find a shuttle service that can pick me up at whichever i choose to take out at and contact them (somehow) when I do take out or along the way when it looks like I know where I will end up. I want flexibility so if I crapout I have options. More expensive but with little time it seems like the most flexible, containable approach. Any suggestions welcome for logistics.
      >
      > What I haven't figured out yet:
      >
      > 1. Temps so far as I can tell hi 20s night high 60s day at the worst. I'm layered for that. Do u think it will be better or worse? I plan to have polypropylene base and a bear top with a bombproof north face shell. Probably hat and gloves for unpredictable extremes.. Overkill? I know the weather can snap quickly.

> [...]
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic