30499Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Shuttle Services

    May 17, 2013
      Three times in my hiking groups, people have exited from MTR.  The Shuttle Service (that services VVR) can also be arranged to meet at Florence lake, (about 4 mile walk from MTR), yes it does cost money--I think around $200 to get you from Florence Lake to a nearby town with a bus or airport.  One year, hitchhiking from Florence Lake got the job done.  Hitchhikers often get rides when a car is available with space, as drivers are friendly there but not as numerous as other places.

      There is a road from MTR to Florence Lake, but it is limited to MTR-permanently stationed vehicles, and it is a very rough road, requiring a jeep or jeep-type truck moving very slowly.

      I don't know how much more the cost of the ride is from VVR to a nearby town versus from Florence Lake to a nearby town.  Worth investigating and reporting back to the group.

      In either case, you have about a 4 mile walk (either from JMT to Florence Lake Ferry landing, or from MTR to Florence Lake).

      I personally have never exited myself from MTR.

      _

      On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 1:02 PM, cjoslyn99 <cjoslyn99@...> wrote:

      Short answer is no and there are not many options on the west side.

      MTR doesn't have a road. You would need to hike to Florence Lake and
      take the ferry across. You may be able to arrange for the VVR shuttle
      to get you from there and take you to Fresno (check their website about
      that).

      The better place is to exit VVR, since they do run a shuttle from their
      place to Fresno (check their website for reservations/pricing) and
      sometimes you can arrange for a ride out w/ staff or other guests.

      In either case, once you get to Fresno, you can take the train to Merced
      and then YARTS to Yosemite, but it may take a day or two total travel
      time.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Kyle Arn wrote:

      > Are there shuttle services from the Muir Trail Ranch back to Yosemite?
      Would the Ranch be a good halfway point heading southbound?

      > Kyle

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic