30441Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Couple questions for June hike

  • Adam .
    May 14 11:21 AM
      My strategy for TP was to buy some of those ziplock crouton bags, eat the delicious croutons inside, wash thoroughly to remove any residual odor, and use that as a TP carrying bag that I just kept strapped to my pack. They are completely opaque, very lightweight, and can carry quite a bit of compacted TP. You can dispose of the TP at resupply areas that have toilets and even dispose of the bag for a fresh one in your resupply if you like. After spending some time on the AT and seeing what happens when people bury their TP (parts of the trail completely ruined with used toilet paper that was dug up by animals), I now pack it out everywhere.

      On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 12:51 PM, Robert <rnperky@...> wrote:

      I am assuming this is in response to putting used TP I your bearcan, but I agree, there is no way in hell I'm putting used TP in my bearcan, even if it was triple bagged!! My food and first aid kit go in my bearcan, not used TP! Cleaning with a bidet or a homemade bidet made out of a water bottle makes more sense to me. It isn't that hard to properly make a deep enough cat hole where used TP isn't a problem. You will definitely get a range of opinions on this, but his is my 2 cents.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Byron Nevins <byron.nevins@...> wrote:

      > That's pretty foul! Try a bidet. A nice butt-shower is the way to go.
      > You can even use warm water if you like! No paper needed! Now Amazon has
      > a 1.1 oz one. I just ordered it and will report back here with a review
      > soon. If you were exceedingly picky you might need 1-2 TP squares for a
      > 'test wipe'. I personally go with lots and lots of water. Zero TP for the
      > environment. And more importantly no feces in my pack!
      >
      > I used this 2.5 oz. bidet on last year's thru-hike. Worked great. Fill it
      > once. Go to cathole with a jug of water for refill. Make sure jug is
      > handled carefully when pouring into "bad" bottle.
      >
      > new 1.1 oz --> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ONIO1A
      > tried and true but 2.5 oz.
      > http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Bidet-BB-20-Portable/dp/B004IW5ITO

    • Show all 31 messages in this topic