30293Re: Tuolumne Meadows not opening until 7/11?

  • Chris
    May 10, 2013
      As far as I understand - it is CLOSED. That being said I have stayed several times in closed NF campgrounds for a single night i.e. closed for the season: No problem. I think the main issue with these sites is waste control. I believe one criteria to open the Tioga Road CGs is based on the local water table being low enough to support septic system operation.

      While the campsites all seem very similar, one thing to consider in your question below is Yosemite NP campsites are under the Federal Department of the Interior and those in the National Forest like Tioga Lake, Saddlebag Lake, Ellery Lake, etc., are all under the Federal Department of Agriculture and those two departments are in more than a few ways, entirely different entities.

      I recall a funny episode when I worked the summer of 2000 at Tioga Pass: We got a call to... "We need you to come clean up this garbage mess and come get your Yosemite Bears!" from one of the aforementioned Lake CGs. Seriously, was that the first time bears got into the non-bear proof trash containers there? ha ha....

      Also in the approved areas of the National Forests there is Dispersed Camping, i.e. camping a certain distance from the road. If you had to camp where a CG was closed, I would personally choose NF over NP. If you were in a simple tent with minimalist impact I would hope no one would give you any trouble.

      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "gracec816" <mizcottonball@> wrote:
      > >
      > > What's the rule as far as staying in an officially "closed" campground?
      > >

      > I'm guessing those who stay in closed campgrounds risk a ticket/fine and eviction from the campground. I'm not sure when Tioga Lake and Ellery Lake campgrounds open but I've always thought that those campground are very scenic and could be alternatives. But they are small and very popular and of course this doesn't really help hikers without a car ...

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic