      From: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com [mailto:johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com]
      On Behalf Of sim ong
      Sent: Friday, September 12, 2008 9:05 AM
      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Completed the JMT on Friday

      Yes indeed Tim. I owned a Garcia cannister but had to borrow a BearVault BV
      500 to cramp 7 plus days worth of food in it. My main staple consist of 2
      bags of oatmeal for breakfast, jerky, dried fruits, drink sweetner for
      lunch, and freeze dried food for dinner. I carried an asortment of dried
      fruits, raisins, mango, appricots etc and cereal bars. I did not count
      calories but trying to eat all that food at high altitude was challenging.
      Loosing weight is not an option on such a long hike. However, that was my
      intend to loose some weight. Food for the first day, do not need to be in
      the cannister, therefore, you can have 8 days worth of food with you at the
      start of the hike. Depending how long you planned to stay on the trail, a
      Bearikade expedition offers a little more storage room . Check it out at
      the link below.

      http://www.wild- <http://www.wild-ideas.net/b_expedition.html>
      ideas.net/b_expedition.html

      The other challenge is that all toilettries, first aid kit, sunscreen, and
      anything with fragrance will have to be in the cannister. It will be tough
      in the first days to cramp all this into the can together with all the food.

      Good Luck on the trail.

      Happy Hiking.
      Sim

      --- On Fri, 9/12/08, cahalan_tim <cahalan_tim@

      From: cahalan_tim <cahalan_tim@ <mailto:cahalan_tim%40yahoo.com> yahoo.com>
      To: johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, September 12, 2008, 8:35 AM

      If you don't mind me asking, what does your daily food menu look like
      to get 4000 calories per day? I was struggling to get 2000 per day.

      Tim

      --- In johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com, bcooper67@.. . wrote:

      > That's great to hear.
      > With having to carry 7 days worth of food from Red's Meadows, I
      will appreciate the weight savings from not carrying a pump. Speaking
      of which, trying to cram 7 days worth of food in a bear canister is a
      real challenge. Had to decrease caloric intake from 4000 Cal/day to
      about 3500. At least I'll get to lose some weight on this
      trip! : )

      > Turbodog
      >
      > Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

      treated with no problem. You should be fine without a pump.

      me. In areas where you mention that the water is not optimal, is
      there enough to scoop water and treat or is it a trickle of a mud
      hole where a pump/filter is needed? I'm planning on just carrying
      drops to save weight, but if a filter is needed, I'll bite the bullet
      and bring it along.
      > Turbodog
      > Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

      sources are starting to dry up and others are stagnant, especially
      the high ponds on east facing slopes. I never had to carry more than
      3 liters between water sources and only 1 liter for the majority of
      the trip. I recommend tanking up with a couple liters prior to
      crossing any high passes (muir, pinchot, forrester, mather, and
      whitney.) I had to go anywhere from three to six miles after crossing
      these passes to find good flowing water sources.

      He