3027Re: [John Muir Trail] Completed the JMT on Friday

  • bcooper67@comcast.net
    Sep 12, 2008
      Here is my menu. Not very glamorous, but it serves the purpose

      First let me add that we'll be getting right up and hiking about 3-5 miles before stopping for breakfast; thus the jump start meal (it's really just for caffeine anyway)

      Jumpstart (1) packet of energy powder in water (like the Propel packets but has 80mg caffeine) 10 cal
      and(1) GU Roctane gel 100 cal

      B'fast (1) serving Perpeteum in H2O 260 cal (Hammer Nutrition)
      (1) Probar 400 cal (theprobar.com)

      mid morn snack (1) GU Roctane gel 100 cal
      (eat while walking) (1) serving Perpeteum in H2O 260 cal

      Lunch (1) Probar 400 cal
      (2) TB peanut butter 200 cal
      (1) packet energy powder in water 10 cal

      Afternoon snack (1) GU Roctane gel 100 cal
      (1) Probar 400 cal
      (1) Perpeteum in H2O 260 cal

      Dinner (1) Mountain House 2 serving meal 800 cal ex. Chicken/Rice 400 cal/per serving
      (1) packet energy powder in water 10 cal
      dessert (2) servings powdered milk and Nestle chocolate milk mix 280 cal

      This amounts to 3590 calories a day

      This is pretty much what I've been able to fit in my bear canister. The only difference is three of the seven days I will have cold oatmeal instead of Perpeteum just for a change. The Perpeteum powder I have in little ziplock snack bags. There was some talk earlier about the ziplocks not sealing after powder gets on the seals, but this way I have each serving in it's own separate bag.

      The way I got 400 cal a day was with using Kashi Cocoa Beach granola with 2 servings of powdered milk (660 cals) but it was just too bulky, so I replaced it with Perpeteum.

      I hope this helps

      Turbodog

      From: "cahalan_tim" <cahalan_tim@...>

      If you don't mind me asking, what does your daily food menu look like
      to get 4000 calories per day? I was struggling to get 2000 per day.

      Tim

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, bcooper67@... wrote:

      > That's great to hear.
      > With having to carry 7 days worth of food from Red's Meadows, I
      will appreciate the weight savings from not carrying a pump. Speaking
      of which, trying to cram 7 days worth of food in a bear canister is a
      real challenge. Had to decrease caloric intake from 4000 Cal/day to
      about 3500. At least I'll get to lose some weight on this
      trip! : )

      > Turbodog
      >
      > Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

      treated with no problem. You should be fine without a pump.

      me. In areas where you mention that the water is not optimal, is
      there enough to scoop water and treat or is it a trickle of a mud
      hole where a pump/filter is needed? I'm planning on just carrying
      drops to save weight, but if a filter is needed, I'll bite the bullet
      and bring it along.
      > Turbodog
      > Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

      sources are starting to dry up and others are stagnant, especially
      the high ponds on east facing slopes. I never had to carry more than
      3 liters between water sources and only 1 liter for the majority of
      the trip. I recommend tanking up with a couple liters prior to
      crossing any high passes (muir, pinchot, forrester, mather, and
      whitney.) I had to go anywhere from three to six miles after crossing
      these passes to find good flowing water sources.

      He