30256Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Concerns about a dry Sept hike

  • Ned Tibbits
    May 8, 2013
      Keep in mind a couple of things for this summer’s sierra hikes...

      - the southern end of the sierra is drier than the northern end (since what few winter storms we got went by to the north).
      - when you’re out on the trail right now, it feels and looks like the end of June instead of early May (figure it’s about 6 or 7 weeks ahead of seasonal norms).

      What’s this mean?

      - It’s “Summertime” in the southern sierra (Kennedy to Horseshoe Meadows). Creeks are running real low.
      - Snowline is about 11,000 feet, something usually not seen until the end of June.
      - There will be a short “thaw” when the nights stop freezing (about now) and the creeks will be high briefly since the pack is thin. PCT thrus will still have a few creek crossing challenges.
      - Bugs will be bad early but not last long. Flowers will bloom early and die early. Dust/Heat will be bad.
      - July 4th at the MTR will feel like the end of August.
      - Short-drainage creeks will be dry by July (if the topo shows a short creek, don’t count on there being water).
      - After mid-June, creek crossings will not be a problem anywhere (doesn’t mean that you won’t get wet).

      Plan accordingly.

      Ned Tibbits, Director
      Mountain Education
      www.mountaineducation.org