      From: Rich colfack <richfax@...>

      Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 11:51:16
      To: <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: RE: [John Muir Trail] Completed the JMT on Friday

      It has been very dry in the sierras this year and some of the sources are starting to dry up and others are stagnant, especially the high ponds on east facing slopes. I never had to carry more than 3 liters between water sources and only 1 liter for the majority of the trip. I recommend tanking up with a couple liters prior to crossing any high passes (muir, pinchot, forrester, mather, and whitney.) I had to go anywhere from three to six miles after crossing these passes to find good flowing water sources.