29973Re: Boot selection

  • Denise Poyer
    Apr 23, 2013
      I have hard to fit feet and am prone to blisters as well.  I'm 5'4", 56 years old, and weight more than I want to say.  I found a combination of different techniques seem to work for me.  I got rid of the high top, water proof boots and now use a pair of LL Bean women's pathfinders http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/72464?feat=506710-GN3&page=women-s-pathfinder-hikers-low. They come in regular and wide - I get the wide, with NO waterproof linter.  Then I use a light pair of 5 toed socks - they allow the toes more freedom and less friction.  I also use tincture of benzoin on areas of my foot that are prone to blisters.  This "toughens up" the skin.  And I use Dirty Girl gaiters. Finally I soak my feet regularly at those wonderful cool mountain streams.  You want to prevent a buildup of moisture (from sweat) and keep the foot as cool as possible.

      I've tried orthotics, both custom and off the shelf, but I found they just pushed the problem around.
      Good luck!

      --
      Denise J. Poyer
      denisepoyer@...