      From: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com [mailto:johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com]
      On Behalf Of Scott Dowling
      Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2008 12:04 PM
      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Resupply in Bishop

      Kevin, thanks for the info. I'll check and see what I can find out about
      that trail to North Lake. I've thought about just pushing on to Kersarge
      Pass and going into Independence or possibly just packing a little extra
      food at VVR and pushing on to Whitney Portal, that's what I did the last
      time I hiked JMT. Just didn't want to carry that much weight.
      Thanks again....Scott

      --- On Thu, 8/7/08, Kevin Aston <kevin@kevinaston.

      From: Kevin Aston <kevin@kevinaston. <mailto:kevin%40kevinaston.com> com>
      To: johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, August 7, 2008, 4:18 AM

      I did not hike over Bishop Pass, so I don't know. I know about it because
      there were signs talking about it when I picked up my permit in Bishop. The
      McClure ranger also talked about it. I passed a lot of people who came that
      way, so it is passable. I understand that the area is so unstable that they
      are not planning on rebuilding the trail at this time. Here is another
      thought for you guys determined to add 40 miles on for a resupply. There is
      a trail from Evolution Lake to North Lake that is only 13 miles. It does go
      over a 13,000 foot pass, and is a cross country trail, but it also is 13
      miles instead of 20-25 miles each way. I think it is called the Lamarck
      Trail.. It does not show on Mapsource, but I did see it on some of the hard
      copy maps I looked at. The ranger uses this trail saying it was a lot easier
      than Bishop or Piute.
      Kevin Aston

      Scott Dowling <pilgrimat2k@ yahoo.com> wrote: Kevin, I figured the 1-1/2 day
      walk into Bishop, but the rock slide is another thing.
      How bad is the slide and is it on the Dusy Basin side of the pass or the
      South Lake side and is it a wide area that can be easily navigated around? I
      have a mail drop going to Bishop, but could re-direct it to Independence if
      need be.
      Thanks for you input.....Scott