29209Re: Question about using an e-reader on the trail

  • bp
    Mar 31, 2013
      Has anyone considered or tried a Nook e-reader? I've never used an e-reader before, but now that I'm doing the JMT, thought it would be better than taking hard copy books. The Nook Simple Touch (with backlight) looks lighter than the Kindle PaperWhite, and a little cheaper, but I'm not sure if there is an advantage to the Kindle or not. Would love to hear your thoughts.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Gail" <forgetwho@...> wrote:

      > Thanks, Barbara and bogartmag. I'm now leaning toward getting a Kindle Paperwhite (as opposed to a Kobo or a Sony). I will theoretically be able to check email on it at Reds but realize that if I can it will be very sluggish and that I might not be able to. I'll be taking it primarily to hold Wenk and other books (I almost always read at night while backpacking). (I'll have an MP3 with me but not an iPhone - I don't want to take on an ongoing expense for the service charges and even with a prepaid plan wouldn't get enough use out of it off the trail to warrant buying one.)
      >
      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Barbara Karagosian <barbara@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I have a Kindle and an iphone, so just downloaded the Kindle app to the phone and read my Kindle books on my iPhone. I had the phone set to airplane mode most of the time, and only had to recharge it once during 2 ½ weeks, using a charger that uses 2 AA batteries.
      > >

      > > On Mar 31, 2013, at 9:43 AM, "bogartmag" <bogartmag@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I bought a Kindle before doing the JMT last year and was thrilled with it. It weighed practically nothing, only needed to be recharged once, and carried all of my reading. An added bonus is that you can carry things you wouldn't otherwise bring because of weight that are good to have (e.g., wilderness first aide book).
      > >
      > > I used the internet at Reds, but using my iPhone. It was also nice to be able to call my family from the summit of Whitney.
      > >
      > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Ray Rippel <ray.rippel@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Good evening, Gail,
      > > >
      > > > I had a Sony Reader and loved it...until the newer stuff came out. I have
      > > > an iPad, but my Mom has a Kindle which seems to have a very long battery
      > > > life and is light as a feather. The new one has it's own light, and still
      > > > has an eight week battery life. I think you may find the selection a bit
      > > > better with a Kindle as well.
      > > >
      > > > Regardless of what you decide on, I think taking some reading material is a
      > > > terrific idea. I talked about the book I read on the trail in this
      > > > blog post<http://jmtbook.com/?p=349>
      > > > .
      > > >
      > > > Good hiking, Ray

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic