29204Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Bear Cannisters

    Mar 31, 2013
      I used to rent Garcias, then used a BearVault for multiple years and last year ended up with an Bearikade. I'd have saved money if I had started with the Bearikade.

      As others have pointed out, however, you could always buy the Bearikade and then sell it when you got back. There's a really good resale market for the Bearikade. I suspect not much for the BearVault and almost none for the Garcia.

      I'm still fond of the BearVault though. This bear worked mine over pretty good before giving up

      Inline image 1

      I think the BearVault is better than the Garcia for the reasons you mention. If you buy a used BearVault, make sure you get the current models with the double tab stops. It was the older single-stop design that the bears got into.