      From: Kevin Aston <kevin@...>
      Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Resupply in Bishop
      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, August 7, 2008, 4:18 AM

      I did not hike over Bishop Pass, so I don't know. I know about it because there were signs talking about it when I picked up my permit in Bishop. The McClure ranger also talked about it. I passed a lot of people who came that way, so it is passable. I understand that the area is so unstable that they are not planning on rebuilding the trail at this time. Here is another thought for you guys determined to add 40 miles on for a resupply. There is a trail from Evolution Lake to North Lake that is only 13 miles. It does go over a 13,000 foot pass, and is a cross country trail, but it also is 13 miles instead of 20-25 miles each way. I think it is called the Lamarck Trail.. It does not show on Mapsource, but I did see it on some of the hard copy maps I looked at. The ranger uses this trail saying it was a lot easier than Bishop or Piute.
      Kevin Aston

      Scott Dowling <pilgrimat2k@ yahoo.com> wrote: Kevin, I figured the 1-1/2 day walk into Bishop, but the rock slide is another thing.
      How bad is the slide and is it on the Dusy Basin side of the pass or the South Lake side and is it a wide area that can be easily navigated around? I have a mail drop going to Bishop, but could re-direct it to Independence if need be.
      Thanks for you input.....Scott