2767Where to aim for first two night's camp out of Happy Isles?

  • Jim W
    Jul 30, 2008
      My itinerary is 15 days total; 8 to Muir Trail Ranch, but I want to
      start out slow and easy. Past experience tells me that a gentle break
      in on the first two days makes the trip much more enjoyable. I'll
      begin with only 2 days food and resupply via mail at Tuolumne. The
      plan is to spend two nights between Happy Isles and Tuolumne, pick up
      my mail drop in the morning after hiking a few miles, then make the
      upper end of Lyell Canyon for night three.

      I'll arrive via Amtrak at 8:00 PM and be in the Valley permit line at
      0:dark:30 the next morning to get a first-come permit. According to
      http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wildcond.htm the wilderness
      office opens at 7:30. 12 first-come permits for Little Yosemite
      Valley and 4 for "Happy Isles to Sunrise/Merced Lake (pass-through)"
      are available. Does that mean I need one of the "pass-through"
      permits if I want to hike more than 6 miles the first day?

      Given all this, which permit sounds most reasonable and what does
      everyone suggest for the first two night camp spots? Is Little
      Yosemite Valley to be avoided for camping?

      Thanks
      Jim

      Aug 10 start
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic