27323Re: [John Muir Trail] Tuolomne permit

  • editgirl03
    Feb 13, 2013
      Thanks Roleigh and everyone for their help--I managed to get my first choice, the Lyell Canyon 7/28 departure, whoopee! So I no longer need to investigate the possibility and ethics of a Rafferty entry. Am feeling thrilled and grateful to be able to plan a hike like this. Cannot wait.

      --Jennifer

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin wrote:

      > John,
      >
      > Good points. The way I look at it is I see these things happening:
      >
      > 1. Yosemite goes out of the way on their JMT page:
      > http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/jmt.htm
      > to state
      >
      > *John Muir Trail*
      > If you plan to hike the John Muir Trail as a continuous hike, you only need
      > one wilderness permit
      > for
      > the entire trip (you do not need a "Whitney stamp"). Most people begin the
      > hike at Happy Isles (its traditional start in Yosemite Valley), however
      > many people begin at Lyell Canyon (Tuolumne Meadows) because permits for
      > this trailhead are slightly easier to obtain. There is no special JMT
      > permit.
      >
      > 2. Abiding literally by the above does not seem like that akin to going
      > through thousands of pages of tax law to find a loophole. It seems to me
      > when people get these less popular permits to do the JMT, they're just
      > following the above paragraph to the "T". It seems to me that those in the
      > Park Service who say "yea but normally hikers do it via routes a,b,c" are
      > not talking based upon any published rule but rather traditional pattern
      > recognition of how permits were done.
      >
      > 3. Some of the backcountry rangers I've talked to on the JMT tell me that
      > they're job security is dependent upon having adequate hikers do remote
      > backcountry long distance hikes and they're all for seeing people on the
      > JMT. I have not met one backcountry ranger who is irked by JMT hikers who
      > are doing the JMT via non-traditional entry TH permits.
      >
      > 4. As for your comment about half-dome hikers and the JMT, I wonder if
      > that is not already happening, for the number of JMT permits seems to be
      > far higher than those who complete the JMT. I know we've had this
      > discussion before so I will grant you that the JMT seems to be getting more
      > popular, but that has to be very recent in light of conversations I've had
      > with backcountry rangers only 2-3 years ago about usage on the JMT. Back
      > then, (a few years ago), rangers were complaining about the lack of
      > backpackers now versus 20-30 years ago.
      >
      > Roleigh

      > links)

    • Show all 27 messages in this topic