27090Re: [John Muir Trail] Tuolomne permit

    Feb 6, 2013
      Here's a page listing YNP trailheads, including from Tuolumne and off Tioga Pass Road. Many of these not practical for JMT, but they might help you find alternative possible routings for your second and third choices.

      On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 3:56 PM, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...> wrote:

      What is the link that shows you all the permit options leaving TM to Whitney?  I know the Happy Isles set of options but not TM.  Sorry, if you give me that link, since I've done the JMT 5 times, I should be able to help you figure out a fallback option or 2.

      On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 6:02 PM, editgirl03 <jenprior@...> wrote:

      Hi, I'm new here and have been reading and gathering info for my July/Aug. JMT hike. I want to thank you all for the good info here. It has been a lifesaver for my planning.

      I plan to leave from Tuolomne Meadows via Lyell Creek on Sunday July 28. A couple of questions I would be grateful for answers to:

      1) I plan to fax my permit application just after 5 pm this Friday, Feb. 8. This is because they take Sunday reservations starting post-5 pm Friday 24 weeks before. Correct?

      2) I plan to put Lyell Creek as my first entry trailhead, obviously. But what if (and I realize there's a good chance I'll get a permit, but I'm a worrier) I don't get that first option. What should I list and the second and third entry trailheads that will get me on the trail from Tuolomn? Do a second and third option from there even exist without lost of backtracking and going in opposite directions?

    • Show all 27 messages in this topic