27087Re: [John Muir Trail] Tuolomne permit

    Feb 6, 2013
    Bob, others,

    What about the "Rafferty Creek->Vogelsang" TH option.  Both "Rafferty Creek->Vogelsang" and "Lyell Canyon" options both have "Vogelsang High Sierra Camp........................." as an interim point (it may be the Vogelsang High Sierra Camp junction and there may be two of them (one from one side, the other from another side) though.

    I'd call up the Permit Office and ask them if you could do it this way.  After all, on this page:

    John Muir Trail
    If you plan to hike the John Muir Trail as a continuous hike, you only need one wilderness permit for the entire trip (you do not need a "Whitney stamp"). Most people begin the hike at Happy Isles (its traditional start in Yosemite Valley), however many people begin at Lyell Canyon (Tuolumne Meadows) because permits for this trailhead are slightly easier to obtain. There is no special JMT permit.

    It just says you need one wilderness permit for the entire trip. On a poster-size entire JMT map I got, it looks like worse case, you do two sides of a triangle versus one side of a triangle to get to the same point on the JMT, making it slightly a longer JMT hike.  See photo attached.  You'd take a SE directional turn near Tuolumne Pass to head back to the JMT bypassing Evelyn Lake.

    Map is in the back of the book as a fold-out map to the old book, Starr's Guide to the John Muir Trail and the High Sierra Region, by Walter A. Starr, Jr., 11th revised edition, copyright 1970.

    _

    On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 6:57 PM, robert shattuck <bobolonius@...> wrote:

    isn't the other TM option, mono pass?

    Bob

    To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
    From: roleigh@...
    Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2013 18:56:01 -0500
    Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Tuolomne permit

    What is the link that shows you all the permit options leaving TM to Whitney?  I know the Happy Isles set of options but not TM.  Sorry, if you give me that link, since I've done the JMT 5 times, I should be able to help you figure out a fallback option or 2.

    _

    On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 6:02 PM, editgirl03 <jenprior@...> wrote:

    Hi, I'm new here and have been reading and gathering info for my July/Aug. JMT hike. I want to thank you all for the good info here. It has been a lifesaver for my planning.

    I plan to leave from Tuolomne Meadows via Lyell Creek on Sunday July 28. A couple of questions I would be grateful for answers to:

    1) I plan to fax my permit application just after 5 pm this Friday, Feb. 8. This is because they take Sunday reservations starting post-5 pm Friday 24 weeks before. Correct?

    2) I plan to put Lyell Creek as my first entry trailhead, obviously. But what if (and I realize there's a good chance I'll get a permit, but I'm a worrier) I don't get that first option. What should I list and the second and third entry trailheads that will get me on the trail from Tuolomn? Do a second and third option from there even exist without lost of backtracking and going in opposite directions?

    Thanks!

  • Show all 27 messages in this topic