26949Re: [John Muir Trail] Long Term Parking at Tuolumne Meadows?

  • Barbara Karagosian
    Feb 1, 2013
      The office near  the store isn't for wilderness permits, just for campground reservations. Only office for permits is the one about 1 mile down the road towards the lodge.  There's long term parking there, and also another lot further up that side road to the lodge.  And it's fine to long term park on the stables road too.

      On Feb 1, 2013, at 12:13 PM, robert shattuck <bobolonius@...> wrote:

      "There’s a small parking lot there and a smelly toilet and . . . "

      Long-term parking is down 120 a bit more at the wilderness permit center––about a five minute drive east e on 120 past the store––it's on the right. Park there forever. you can return bear cans there and the bathrooms are pretty clean.

      There are two permit centers in TM . . . the one near the store and then the other one, down the road a ways. . . it's also got lots of bear boxes so you can store stuff long-term. it's a large, paved, parking lot.

      I've never used either of these offices for anything, other than to return a canister, but my buddy always starts in TM and always parks here . . . once for 26 days, no problem.  Just make absolutely sure your car is clean and free of food smells and or visual cues––like do not assume that because your ice chest is empty and you only had a few cans of soda in it, that the bears won'r want to get at it, when they see it in the front seat.

      I have a slight feeling that a lot of car-campers use the permit office, next to the store . . . you see a lot of folks there, lined up in the morning, who just don't look like they're going backpacking––which is to say, that if I was in TM and looking to get a walk-in, I might jump on the free shuttle, or drive down to the Wilderness Permit Office, to score my JMT permit.

      Not saying it's a guarantee, but it beats standing around with a bunch of people trying to get spots to park their motor homes.

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic