26931Re: [John Muir Trail] camp: sleep without tent

  • ravi_jmt2013
    Feb 1, 2013
      For those with down sleeping bags, how can we determine in the evening whether condensation will be significant enough overnight to get the outside of the bag more than a little wet? I like the idea of camping outside my tent in good weather but this issue has been in the back of my mind. I've always used a tent and find it difficult to predict when condensation will be on the tent in the morning.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "staehpj1" wrote:

      > On my recent trips to the Sierras I just slept on top of the bivy (no hoop). If it rains I just get inside. I generally have the pad inside the bivy already making it really quick and easy to get in. I typically have either a small tarp or poncho ready to pull over the mesh of the bivy if needed.
      >
      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, John Ladd wrote:
      > >
      > > My usual practice, after a few of
      > > these, is to set up my shelter (for me, a hooped bivy) but sleep in the
      > > open nearby. If it rains, I just move into the bivy

    • Show all 19 messages in this topic