26442Re: Best Cell Provider for Service on JMT

  • Gregory
    Jan 2, 2013
      I can confirm the Verizon comments. I think my family actually thought I lost my cell phone during the Whitney to Red's portion on my NOBO JMT last August. If people are expecting communication, don't depend on a cell phone, as it will only make them worry when you can't call.
      We did run into folks with rented satellite phones and the only issue there is having the right agency numbers to call in case of emergency depending on where you are at.
      BTW - I did use a Goal Zero 3.5 that kept the iPhone charged for music. Thoughts of charging batteries too, did not work out.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, chrisjoseph2002 <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > I'm curious---is there a solar charger that any of you would recommend? I'm thinking of one mainly for an iPhone and camera batteries.
      >
      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "jaymiche@" <jaymiche@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I took a Verizon phone last year. Had coverage at TM, Reds Meadows, and Mt Whitney. Other than that it was useless.
      > >
      > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "cjoslyn99" <cjoslyn99@> wrote:
      > > >

      > > > All things considered, AT&T has better reception. I've had both.
      > > >
      > > > That said, I wouldn't bother. Other than a few streteches in areas
      > > > where you're close to a phone anyway, you won't get reception so won't
      > > > do you any good.
      > > >
      > > > I brought my iPhone loaded w/ the Harrison JMT map and used it for my
      > > > music/video/camera. When I got reception it was a bonus. Phone wasn't
      > > > heavy itself...keeping it charged was where there was add'l weight.

      > > > to take on the JMT for Emergencies and leaving my heavy iPhone at home.
      > > > I use Verizon as my current provider but AT&T offers a pay as you go
      > > > plan as well. What cell provider has the best overall reception across
      > > > the length of the JMT?

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic