26424[John Muir Trail] Re: Saving Weight on Hydration

  • Robert
    Jan 1, 2013
      A big +1 to what John says here on AM drops. I switched last summer, and won't go back to a filter in the Sierras. I used a small black dropper bottle with enough premixed drops to treat all of my water for the day. You need to do a little experimenting to match drop volume compared to the AM bottles. As long as the bottle with the premix solution does not allow light in, the premix mixture will stay good for a day or more.

      > On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 10:19 AM, Ron Cordell <ron.cordell@...> wrote:
      >
      > > I've used a pump on the AT for years but AM was very good on the JMT and I
      > > was glad to not have the weight of the pump.
      >

      > I'm not usually all that weight-conscious, but I switched to Alta Mira
      > drops after the failure of two filters in a single summer. One was my
      > stupidity (did't clean out the filter and it got clogged and we broke it
      > with excess pressure) and one was a manufacturing defect. One nice thing
      > about the AM drops is there is nothing to break.

    • Show all 25 messages in this topic