25687Re: Conventional Wisdom Regarding GPS on JMT

  • Gary
    Nov 6 7:55 AM
      I rarely rely on GPS for navigation. I enjoy the data; elevation, miles per day or between points, rate of speed, elevation gain or loss, time moving vs. time stopped, etc. And I especially enjoy uploading my "tracks" and plotting on Google Earth when I get home.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "jmt_2013" <dabrahms@...> wrote:
      > I feel privileged to be a member of this group as there are so many knowledgeable and experienced people here that I can learn from.
      > I plan on solo thru-hiking the JMT next summer.
      > I have a Garmin eTrex 20 GPS which I took with me while hiking a portion of the PCT in Washington a couple of months ago. I found that I hardly used the GPS because:
      > 1) I have limited skills with GPS. For example I was unable to find the distance between my current location and the next way-point without having to scroll through some screens and toggle my cursor around. When I did get a reading, I had to fiddle around to determine whether it was a line-of-sight or trail distance. It was quite a cumbersome and convoluted process.
      > 2) there didn't seem to be a big need as the trails were fairly well signposted and I had a map.
      > My question is whether the benefits of a GPS are worth the extra weight when hiking the JMT, and if so, in practical terms what are they?
      > Thanks,
      > Darryl
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic