25660Re: Conventional Wisdom Regarding GPS on JMT

  • John
    Nov 4, 2012
      If you can read a map, then a GPS is of no importance on the JMT unless you are looking for electronic entertainment. I've skied the entire JMT and sections many times in every winter month- I don't know how to use a GPS. Now that said, I skied around in circles in a white out on the Bighorn Plateau one  January. I guess a GPS would have gotten me to Tyndall Creek a little earlier....

      In summer, the JMT is well signed, but not always as the "JMT", so in places, you need to be aware of appropriate landmarks down the trail that a sign may be referring to. Approximately 23,132 people (I made that up) walked the JMT safely prior to the invention of GPS.

      Not necessary, but the entertainment may be worth the weight? Personally I'd bring a good book!!