25654RE: [John Muir Trail] Conventional Wisdom Regarding GPS on JMT

  • robert shattuck
    Nov 4, 2012
      "Now if a person gets lost and has limited map reading skills then a GPS can be a lifesaver."

      . . . and maybe you shouldn't be out there anyway. I doubt I would have the patience to plug in all the gizmos on a GPS. The JMT is not like being dropped into the middle of Alaska, blind-folded and spun around three times . . .  and 99 percent of it is very well marked, so much so that if you just study the maps (Harrison's, for the best example) and familiarize yourself with the various points, you barely have to pull them out.

      If you can read a road map, you don't need much more than that for the JMT

      As for that other one percent, well . . .

      BOB