25167Re: [John Muir Trail] Creating the John Muir Trail Association

  • Dan C. aka Thumper
    Sep 5, 2012
      One area I believe the JMT community would benefit is if the PCTA would be able to expand and take on the Jmt thru-hike permit process. They currently have permit issuing authority for the PCT including Whitney endorsements. If they could get the US Park and Forest Services to agree in allowing them to issue JMT thru-hike permits it would be a much smoother process, take an admin load off the Park Service, and increase the patronage of the PCTA. This would be a win-win for all.

      Thumper

      ---- Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...> wrote:
      > To keep up the point-counterpoint discussion, one problem remains even if
      > we went to the top of Google Results. Public perception of Yahoo Groups is
      > probably not that favorable. How many Yahoo Groups have extensive file
      > libraries, link libraries? Very, very few. I belong to many Yahoo Groups
      > and our group is the exception to the rule.
      > links)<https://profiles.google.com/104440166440169700478/about>
      > _
      >

      > On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 2:55 PM, John Ladd <johnladd@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 11:27 AM, Inga Aksamit <Iaksamit@...> wrote:
      > >
      > >> ... This group has such good info that my biggest goal would be to *make
      > >> sure people can find it* so they can benefit.
      > >

      > > I agree. I've been trying, with some success, to improve our Google
      > > pagerank. We turn up much higher now than we did 2 years ago and if you
      > > search for a particular topic like this
      > >
      > > "john muir trail" crocs
      > > john muir trail MTR
      > > "john muir trail" group
      > >
      > > we are often top or very near it. When I search just "John Muir Trail" we
      > > are on the first page but below many other sites (we were 8th today). Note
      > > that Google adjusts rank by the individual searcher, so your results may
      > > differ
      > >
      > > If any of you have your own website, esp. a highranked one (John Dittli?),
      > > *a link to us would move us up in Google ranking. *
      > >
      > > Best link to use is this one

      > > or, if you would rather link to our Links collection

      > > Note that a Yahoo search ranks us even lower than Google, so I don't buy
      > > the theory that Google is downranking us intentionally.
      > >
      > > Part of my concern about a separate webpage for a JMTA is that, to the
      > > extent we split our traffic between two sites, our pagerank would probably
      > > suffer.
      > >
      > > John Ladd

    • Show all 27 messages in this topic