25150Re: Creating the John Muir Trail Association

  • Herb
    Sep 4, 2012
      Getting back to the theme of the thread, it may be we are putting the cart before the horse to say that there is or is not a need for a JMT Associatiib. I think it would be helpful to solicit input from managing agencies to see if there is some benefit a JMT user-group could bring to administration efforts. Bringing visibility to a JMT website not only helps with logistics, it is a means to promote better trail ethics among newer hikers. It could be a means for managing agencies to dispese trail info to a large group of affected hikers quickly.

      And what about trail policies? Would an organized user-group have greater influence on future management polices? The recent discussion regarding potential regulation of packers suggests that current polices can be subject to change.

      I think it is worth assembling a small group to investigate if there are ways formally or informally in which organized volunteers might improve use and access to the JMT.

      Herb
    • Show all 27 messages in this topic