25142Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Creating the John Muir Trail Association

    Sep 4, 2012
      To keep up the point-counterpoint discussion, one problem remains even if we went to the top of Google Results.  Public perception of Yahoo Groups is probably not that favorable.  How many Yahoo Groups have extensive file libraries, link libraries?  Very, very few.  I  belong to many Yahoo Groups and our group is the exception to the rule.
      _

      On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 2:55 PM, John Ladd <johnladd@...> wrote:

      On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 11:27 AM, Inga Aksamit <Iaksamit@...> wrote:
      ... This group has such good info that my biggest goal would be to make sure people can find it so they can benefit.

      I agree. I've been trying, with some success, to improve our Google pagerank.  We turn up much higher now than we did 2 years ago and if you search for a particular topic like this

      "john muir trail" crocs
      john muir trail MTR
      "john muir trail" group

      we are often top or very near it.  When I search just "John Muir Trail" we are on the first page but below many other sites (we were 8th today).  Note that Google adjusts rank by the individual searcher, so your results may differ

      If any of you have your own website, esp. a highranked one (John Dittli?), a link to us would move us up in Google ranking.

      Best link to use is this one

      or, if you  would rather link to our Links collection

      Note that a Yahoo search ranks us even lower than Google, so I don't buy the theory that Google is downranking us intentionally.

      Part of my concern about a separate webpage for a JMTA is that, to the extent we split our traffic between two sites, our pagerank would probably suffer.

      John Ladd

    • Show all 27 messages in this topic