24474Re: [John Muir Trail] Finished on July 29th

  • Barbara Karagosian
    Aug 2 10:50 AM
      Enjoyed your pics.  Passing resemblance to Jeremy Renner much?

      Barbara

      On Aug 1, 2012, at 4:58 PM, Jeremy foltz <jdarwinfoltz@...> wrote:

      The trail is terrible compared to the National Park Trails.       I found it hard to get a rhythm going until the final switchbacks.   I think that was because I was over anxious to see if my car was chewed up by bear.

      - I should add that you should be careful on the trail leaving Reds Meadow.   The signage leaves something to be desired.

      - Additional note.   My buddy had the JMT App for his iPhone.    Greatest trail app of all time.   Showed us where we were on a Tom Harrison Map.    Never Failed and we used it all the time.

      On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 4:21 PM, Ray Rippel <ray.rippel@...> wrote:

      "- DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE DOWNHILL FROM WHITNEY.    I Highly recommend and early start!"

      Very good advice. I camped the night before at Guitar Lake, and was out of the tent at 3:00 a.m., on the trail a little after 4, and at the summit at 8:38. I spent about an hour up there, and got to WP a little after 4 p.m.  The only thing I remember about the descent is that it was hot, dry and I thought it would never end.

    • Show all 24 messages in this topic