24447Re: Finished on July 29th

  • cjoslyn99
    Aug 1, 2012
      I have the same app. Worked pretty well in terms of the GPS locating
      you on the map (much improved over last year I think).

      If I kept my phone in airplane mode except for when I was checkign the
      GPS, I normally got 2-3 days use before needing to recharge (assuming I
      wasn't otherwise using it heavily on battery intensive things...like
      lisetning to music a lot or taking lots of video).

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "hamockhngr2002"
      <hammockhanger@...> wrote:

      > Did using your iPhone drain the battery quickly?
      >
      > Sue
      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Jeremy foltz jdarwinfoltz@
      wrote:

      > > The trail is terrible compared to the National Park Trails. I found
      > > it hard to get a rhythm going until the final switchbacks. I think
      that
      > > was because I was over anxious to see if my car was chewed up by
      bear.

      > > - I should add that you should be careful on the trail leaving Reds
      Meadow.
      > > The signage leaves something to be desired.
      > >
      > > - Additional note. My buddy had the JMT App for his iPhone. Greatest
      > > trail app of all time. Showed us where we were on a Tom Harrison
      Map.
      > > Never Failed and we used it all the time.
      > >

      > > On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 4:21 PM, Ray Rippel ray.rippel@ wrote:
      > >
      > > > **
      > > >

      > > > "- DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE DOWNHILL FROM WHITNEY. I Highly
      recommend
      > > > and early start!"
      > > >
      > > > Very good advice. I camped the night before at Guitar Lake, and
      was out of
      > > > the tent at 3:00 a.m., on the trail a little after 4, and at the
      summit at
      > > > 8:38. I spent about an hour up there, and got to WP a little after
      4 p.m.
      > > > The only thing I remember about the descent is that it was hot,
      dry and I
      > > > thought it would never end.

    • Show all 24 messages in this topic