24444Re: [John Muir Trail] Finished on July 29th

    Aug 1, 2012
      On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 3:57 PM, jdarwinfoltz <jdarwinfoltz@...> wrote:
      Muir Trail Ranch: Even-though, you spend $55 to send you bucket there don't expect to be allowed to cook, or use the restroom there. There discrimination/exploitation towards hikers is ugly. I would have rather carried extra food from VVR than to support there nonsense.

      Every year or two someone flames MTR about this.

      There's a good reason for the restroom restriction. They have a very limited septic field and allowing hikers to use it would pretty much ruin it for their paying guests.  They don't make any money to speak of from us - their conferences and groups (of very rich people paying very high fees, often) are the thing that makes them money and keeps the operation going. They help us out of affection and history.  Insulting them won't help keep them helping us out.

      The other thing they do for free is a lot of assistance of hikers in distress.  Whenever there is a SAR in the area, they pitch in.

      But if you want to carry food for an extra 20 miles, feel free.  I'd rather use them and recognize that they don't have to keep doing it.  If Karla, who has been involved at MTR since about age 3, ever sold the place (and she must be tempted when she's annually insulted) and the new owners didn't have her past, we'd have a way tougher resupply problem.

      John Ladd
    • Show all 24 messages in this topic