      From: segstak <avoidseigi@...>
      Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] VVR friend-food-drop adjustments
      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, August 1, 2012, 9:45 AM

      Shawn, John,

      Thank you two for your quick replies! I am definitely going to go with your guys' advice and have my friends hike up through Bear Creek trail. Great to know that Marie Lakes is camp-able. I'm hoping to make it over the pass on the second day anyway, but it'll be nice to keep in mind as a fall-back option. Whooo! Excited!

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, shawn peterson <pdawg893@...> wrote:

      > I was going to recommend the very same thing...bear creek trail for sure for a new guy.  Scenic....mellow...lots of pretty water....and he won't even realize he's gaining elevation over the 7.6 miles from teh bear diversion dam to the JMT junction....
      >
      > As for camping at Selden....
      >
      > Marie Lakes is great and Rosemarie meadows which is a bit north of the pass.
      >
      > As for your "downhill" to MTR from Sallie Keyes...it drops pretty quick with plenty of switchbacks.  I would do it earlier in the day than later due to exposure to the sun.  It gets pretty hot over there and you end up in some horse hooved chewed up rocky trail in ther manzinita.  The hike from MTR to Florence Ferry is pretty straight forward...unremarkable...and could be a bit dry due to current water conditions.....
      >
      > Shawn

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic