23585Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Fixing Your Feet

    Jun 30, 2012
      I find the best way to experiment with new ideas on foot protection is to do try one new thing at a time -- but on one foot only and then compare the two feet - the treated one with the untreated one.  You can figure out pretty fast what works for you and what doesn't.  Once you discover a treatment works, start using it on both feet, and then try the next treatment on the "test" foot. repeat until you find your sweet spot.

      I haven't tried anywhere near all of the various suggestions, but I have tried many of them and now have something I am pretty confident about.  My feet aren't as tough as they used to be, but I'm definitely not limited be them and they don't (hardly ever) hurt.

      For me, the things that don't work - others have had different experiences

      the various anti-sweat treatments and the "glide" products. But that may be because my feet don't sweat much

      duct tape and athletic tape

      Band-Aid Advanced Healing Blister Cushions (or similar products)

      footwear a size too big (yes I walked around in a mismatched pair of boots)

      But for others these things work, so I don't think you will know until you try them.

      The stuff that does work for me has mostly already been mentioned.

      Two things that I don't think anyone has mentioned yet is are (1) medicated foot powder (I use Zeasorb AF).  I don't think of it as a necessity, but I love how it feels on my feet when I put my socks on in the morning or after an airing.  I repackage it in a small shaker bottle (a tooth powder bottle) and (2) a small piece of really light pumice for taking dead skin off my heels and the side of my big toe and in order to address any toenail problems.