2266Re: What's recommended for ultralight crampons? especially for contingency purposes

  • akunkle99
    Jun 2, 2008
      I like Yaktrax ice cleats. They aren't really crampons, so you
      wouldn't want them for serious mountaineering, but they're great for
      getting across the occasional patch of ice.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...>
      wrote:

      > What's recommended for ultralight crampons? especially for
      contingency purposes when hiking in late July/early August in the
      High Sierras?

      > Nabeel Alsalam <nabeel.alsalam@...> wrote: Thanks. I'm
      researching crampons now.

      > A great adventure that I shared with my 7-year-old daughter in
      Glacier NP in
      > July, and that we both still remember almost 20 years later was a
      little
      > dayhike up a ravine, over a pass (Syah, I think), and down a
      valley, both on
      > the Going to the Sun road. The family was due to meet us at the
      end, so
      > turning back hard to do.
      >
      > Our first obstacle was the ice sheet at the top of the pass and
      descending
      > down the other side at an ever increasing angle. I put her on my
      shoulder
      > and grabbed two sharp rocks in my hands and started down digging my
      heels
      > into the ice as best I could, but twice I slipped and starting
      sliding down
      > fast and had to turn over and dig the rocks in with her still on my
      > shoulders to brake my slide. I can see the value of crampons.
      >
      > Our second obstacle was a big horn sheet on the trail who felt very
      > territorial and did not want us to pass. We found a way around.
      >
      > All the while, we were listened to the bells on our boots tingle as
      we
      > walked so that we would not surprise any Grizzlies. A couple had
      been
      > mauled earlier in the week when they surprised a mom and her cubs.
      >
      > Thanks for the advice.
      >
      > On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 4:14 PM, Ralph Alcorn <rbalcorn@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Most Pacific Crest Trail thru hikers look at June 15th as the
      first date
      > > enter the Sierras from the south. I know three went thru a couple
      of weeks
      > > ago, but since then there has been a turn in the weather, and
      there was
      > > snow
      > > down to 6000 feet. I plan to do a short hike in the southern
      sierra south
      > > of
      > > Whitney, and have delayed it till June 22 to let the snow melt.
      Check out

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/clairesgallery/sets/72157605239052741/

      > > The PCT hikers will also be carrying crampons and ice axes. I
      recommend the
      > > same. The stream crossings will be hairy. From my jmt web page:
      > >
      > > Early Season Fording Techniques:
      > >
      > > If you are a PCTer, you will have a number of fast deep crossings
      requiring
      > > extreme caution. Evolution Creek is the deepest, sometimes chest
      high at
      > > the normal crossing point, but not very fast. Others are not as
      deep but
      > > fast and dangerous. Usually best to cross in early morning - may
      be 12
      > > inches lower than late afternoon. Tyndall Creek, Bear Creek,
      south fork of
      > > Kings River, Rush Creek, Kerrick Canyon (northern Yosemite) are
      some of the
      > > others. Consensus from PCT-L forum is to use hiking poles or
      sticks to get
      > > 4
      > > points of contact, keep body facing the opposite shore, angle
      upstream to
      > > keep the force of water from collapsing your knees, wear
      synthetic fast
      > > drying clothes, take off long pants, unfasten waist belt. If
      shoes and
      > > boots
      > > are already wet leave them on. Walk between rocks, not on them.
      If wearing
      > > trail runners leave them on - some people take socks off. During
      dry
      > > weather
      > > if you have to cross in your boots, remove socks and boot liners,
      wipe out
      > > boots after crossing and reinsert liners. You will walk dry
      quickly. You
      > > need something to protect your feet (I have gone barefoot in
      midsummer and
      > > it is painful. I have carried lightweight kayak shoes for camp
      and river
      > > crossing - better than bare feet. I don't want the weight penalty
      of
      > > Tevas).
      > > With normal sierra weather you will dry as you walk fairly soon.
      If
      > > chilly, put on fleece after crossing.
      > >
      > > I posted a question about stream crossings on the pct forum a few
      years
      > > ago,
      > > and the consensus was that use of a rope was dangerous - too easy
      to get
      > > caught in it. With a large group and the rope well anchored on
      each side it
      > > might be ok.
      > >
      > > --
      > > Ralph Alcorn
      > > http://www.backpack45.com/camino2.html
      > > Shepherd Canyon books, Publisher of
      > > We're in the Mountains, Not Over the Hill: Tales and Tips from
      Seasoned