2249Re: [John Muir Trail] Loading Coordinates according to Fred.

  • Derek Peters
    Jun 1, 2008
      Hey all,

      I just did this a few weeks ago. There is a free utility I use that makes this much easier. Google GPSBabel!
      It's a tool for translating any GPS format to any other. I dump my GPS data back to Garmin Mapsource and save the GDB file. Then I use GPSBabel to convert the GDB to a !Topo format and a GoogleEarth KML file.
      Here's a link the the KML file I created and linked on www.summitpost.org a few weeks ago.
      http://www.surfnetc.com/derekp62/Kinabalu.kml

      Just save the file locally on you computer and then with GoogleEarth open, use the file open command to open the Kinabalu.kml file.

      Those of you who love the book "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" might get the reference to Babelfish!

      Derek