21359[John Muir Trail] Re: SOBO Planning

  • snkworth
    Mar 1, 2012
      Sure. All foods and toiletries must go into a bear box. We have had a car at Tuolomne once, and stored all other items in the car, we have mailed our backpacking gear to Tuol post office once (too expensive of an option for our future use) and we have reserved a campsite Tuol, our favorite option without having a car. You must occupy the campsite, so we pitch our tent, put our gear in the assigned box for the site and head on our merry way to the valley. You are taking a risk by leaving your gear in any bear box. We've never had a problem but we are careful, esp with the Bearicade. We store our gear in bags and label them. The gear is left for just over 24 hours. You are not allowed to lock the bear boxes. When you arrive at Tuol you can either mail your daypack home or stash in a bear box for later pick up at the end of your trip.

      We also plan some "feast food" at Tuolomne. We have it all set in our bear box with our gear, so we don't have to go to the store or the grill. Instead we can enjoy food we love, relax, and have our feet up. It makes for a great start to a great trip.

      The logistics of all this is complicated, but not too bad once you have it all organized. However you do it, I know you will have a terrific time. I hope to see you out there!

      Happy Trails,
      Nancy from Mt. Shasta

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "John M." <jmaddog1082@...> wrote:

      > On Feb 29, 2012, at 1:53 PM, snkworth wrote:
      >
      > > "The next morning we begin hiking early, to avoid the crowds hiking Half Dome,and hike back up to Tuolomne where our regular backpacking packs are stashed"
      >

      > Nancy: Could you elaborate on exactly how you "stash" your backpacking packs in the TM area with confidence?

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic