20697Re: So for those of you who have gone ultralight

  • JamesB
    Feb 2, 2012
      I'm working at Ultralight because I am 71 years old, and can't do much real backpacking unless I carry very low weights. So, this can be sort of an alternative view of the John Ladd approach, except that the emphasis is on being nearly as light as possible, or it can't be done.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Allen C" <acurrano@...> wrote:

      > Good advice for sure!
      >
      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, greg padgett <gregp701@> wrote:
      >
      > > Biggest thing I've found is that the pack needs to be able to carry everything comfortably.If I'm carrying upwards of 30 pounds then give me a pack with real suspension. Hanging 35 pounds from your shoulders all day will turn any hike into a death march.
      > > I say save weight anywhere you can and feel comfortable doing so but not at the sake of being uncomfortable or unsafe.

    • Show all 38 messages in this topic